Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Has Social Media Killed Email Newsletters?

weblogbetter

Hi Lisa!
I don’t really do a whole lot of email marketing. I may send a periodic announcement here or there, sometimes I try to extend the discussion of a recently popular blog post and on rare occasions, I’ve sent product reviews or announcements.

It’s funny that you mention Ana, because I love her approach to email newsletters – I can never resist opening her emails because the subject line is always so catchy. In a recent email, she talked about why you shouldn’t try to sell to your list, and I have to admit, I’ve always felt this way – sending sales letters to my list has always seemed unnatural to me. The occasional, “hey you might want to catch this discount” is acceptable, but flat out sales emails are just – for lack of a better word – annoying.

So, I use my list more for the rare updates – I think it’s more effective that way and the reason why my list has a high open rate.

I also like Pat Flynn’s approach to email marketing – he never sells, but always offers valuable information and strategies. I think that’s the best way to utilize a list.

Reply

No comments :

Post a Comment

Followers